Sunday, February 19, 2012

Suffer Session at Kate Sessions


When I'm in need of a Suffer Session, I head to Kate Sessions. After a rejuvenating post-Carlsbad break from running, I'm back on the horse and today was my first hard run. Instead of opting for some easy intervals on flat ground at Mission Bay, I decided to throttle up and visit the hillside park in PB, named for the horticulturist known as the Mother of Balboa Park. Hills for breakfast!

The 79-acre park sits perched above the bay and 10-20 of those acres, starting near where Lamont St. turns into Soledad Rd., make for an excellent grass workout. The perimeter of this section, lined by a paved path, is a half-mile long. But I never use the path and never run a measured course. Trust me: Take this opportunity to disconnect and leave the Garmin at home.

Kate Sessions is ideal for the Run like a Kid Workout, cutting up, down and across the park with no rhyme or reason to the direction you're headed. Throw on some minimal shoes, like my choice today, the New Balance Minimus Trail. Run hard for a couple of minutes until you feel that burn in your chest and then run for a few more seconds to make sure it really hurts. Follow it up with a couple of easy minutes, just long enough to catch your breath. And then repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment